Saturday, July 30, 2011

My life as a (fake) Aunt

This past week, I got to spend some time with my new "nephew" Beckett and my oldest "niece" Madison.  I love spending time with them so much that I thought I'd write about it.

Beckett is really my cousin, but his mom Stephanie and I are so close in age that we grew up more as sisters than as aunt and niece.  So, we've determined through the years that there's much less explaining to do if we just tell people that we are sisters.  Therefore, Beckett is my nephew.  He is such a cutie pie and he reminds me so much of when Ethan was little.  He's so alert and stays awake for most of the day, which is pretty unusual for a 3 week old baby.  Ethan was exactly the same way.  We used to joke that he was "Mr. 30 Minutes" because he NEVER took a nap more than a half hour long.  Beckett's a big boy and already eats 5oz of formula in his bottle.  By the time Ethan was 5 weeks old, he was eating 8oz at a feeding.  I have a feeling Baby Beckett will be there too!  When I was holding him it just reminded me of how fast time goes by.  My baby is starting kindergarten in a few weeks, and I just can't believe it.  It seems like he should still be Beckett's size, or at least Dylan's size and Dylan should be Beckett's size!  I want to tell Steph to cherish every moment with Beckett, even though it's tough right now with the lack of sleep and all of the adjustments, because too soon it's gone.  She's already a great mommy though, so I'm sure she'll figure that out on her own!

I also spent quite a bit of time with Madison this week.  Madison is also my cousin, but she gets so confused because I'm so much older than she is that we told her it's ok to just call me her aunt.  It's so funny to hear her try to figure out our family tree ("So, you're Lisa's daughter and Lisa is my mommy's sister and my memaw is your memaw... so, what are you to me again??")  So, aunt is what we're going with!  She went with Memaw and me to Steph's to see Beckett and she also spent the day with Mike, the boys, and me on Friday at the pool.  She is so sweet and thoughtful and the boys love spending time with her just as much as I do.  We did miss having Morgan with us, even though things were definitely less rambunctious with just Mad!  All day, Ethan kept calling her "Morgan" until finally even Dylan was correcting him!  Madison is 10 now, and she was so funny when I asked her what she thought about Beckett.  She said, "Well, he's small.  And he's loud.  And he's cute."  From the mouths of babes!

Madison holding Beckett (you just can't see Madison very well!)

Another of Beckett that I had to add because it looks like he's smiling!

And, one of Madison (even though it's old) so that she's not left out

Well, it's storming outside now, and since both boys are terrified of thunder in the middle of the night, I'm expecting either of them to get up any minute.  So, until next time.....

And, sure enough, while I was waiting for the pictures to upload, the thunder woke Ethan up.  Luckily, he settled back down pretty quickly.  Now it just needs to stop storming!!  Now really, until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment